RCD Safety Switch Installation
Get RCD’s Installed Today – Stay Safe!
An RCD is a safety device also known as a Safety Switch used to immediately cut off the electricity supply in the event of a “leak”. A leak is when the power supply is “to Earth” and can be harmful to someone using electrical equipment. The RCD continuously monitors the amount of current flowing through it, and will cut off or “trip” the circuit if a leak is detected to prevent an electric shock/electrocution.
As well as being a safety device to prevent the chance of electrical shock, an RCD can also reduce the possibility of electrical fires. Many electrical fires are caused as a result of leakage from bad wiring, and an RCD can detect even very low current level leakages to earth. A low-level leakage can cause a fire, but if detected the system will trip out the circuit and prevent a possible incident.
How important is safety to you?!
Protecting your family against potential electrocution is paramount. Having a safety switch installed onto any new circuit 20amps or under or where an existing circuit is modified, is law under the new electrical standard, introduced in July 2008
A Residual Current Device or RCD (also known as a safety switch), are an insurance against electric shock. They are installed in your switchboard and work in conjunction with your circuit breakers or fuses. They are designed to prevent injury or death. They monitor the flow of electricity through a circuit. They automatically shut off the electricity supply when current is detected leaking from faulty switches, wiring or electrical appliances. This stops the chance of current flowing to earth, through a person, electrocuting them. Installing a safety switch is an inexpensive safety measure that protects everyone.
With the over-abundance of electrical appliances, electronic equipment, and air conditioners etc, it has never been more important to make sure your switchboard is up to the task when it comes to protecting your family.
Re-wireable (porcelain) fuse style switchboards are still found in many older homes, especially unrenovated ones and rental properties.This style of fuse provides the bare minimum of protection for you and your family, if the wrong size or type of fuse wire has been used, it can actually cause a dangerous situation or fire.